Reports of excellent dolly varden fishing have already come in. King salmon fishing in the saltwaters has also been good and improving, anglers are reminded that the limit is 2 per day. Sockeye have even been reported!
Unalaska Bay/Dutch Harbor Road System
Issued June 1, 2017
· The bag limit for Unalaska Bay fresh and saltwaters is 5 salmon per day of which only 2 may be sockeye.
· The bag limit for the remainder of Unalaska Island is 5 salmon per day all of which may be sockeye or coho.
· Anglers are reminded that Town Creek (Iliuliuk) is closed to fish for sockeye year round.
· The saltwaters of Summer’s Bay are open to snagging, however, the freshwaters from the outlet of Summer’s Bay Lake to the ocean are closed to all sportfishing.
· All freshwaters of Unalaska Island are closed to snagging year round.
· Anglers are reminded that many of the creeks flowing into Unalaska Bay have closed waters for a portion of the drainage or all of the drainage in some cases. Be sure to keep an eye out for signs marking closed waters and to consult the Southwest Alaska Sportfish regulation booklet for a complete list of sport fishing regulations for Unalaska Bay.
· Dolly Varden are leaving their winter-freshwaters and will be feeding in the near shore waters off local beaches. Recent reports indicate dolly fishing has been good off most local beaches.
· Dollies should be available off local beaches through mid- to late-June.
· Trolling for king salmon has reportedly been good with reports indicating fish in the 15 to 30 lb range have been caught just outside Unalaska Bay.
· King salmon will often follow schools of bait fish to feed and recent reports of large schools of sandlance should mean great fishing!
· Anglers are reminded that the bag limit for King Salmon is 2 per day per person.
· Halibut fishing appears to be picking up and should improve as waters warm!
· There have also been a couple reports of subsistence sockeye caught on outside capes. The weir at Mcclee’s will be installed soon, but peak run-timing for Mcclee’s and summer’s bay are at least a few weeks out.