KUCB KIAL Unalaska Community Broadcasting


Berett Wilber/KUCB

The state has taken over a local investigation into the Unalaska City Council.

Interim City Manager Nancy Peterson said the Alaska State Troopers assumed full responsibility for the inquiry last week. But she declined to comment on the scope of the case.

“I think it’s common knowledge in the community that there is an ongoing investigation -- and that the investigation, at some level, involves at least one elected official,” said Peterson.

Berett Wilber/KUCB

Today is Mike Holman’s last day on the job.

Unalaska’s police chief and director of public safety is retiring after 23 years with the department.

Holman has not responded to multiple requests for comment.

Until the city hires his full-time replacement, officials have appointed Deputy Police Chief Jennifer Shockley to serve as acting director.


Starting next month, Deputy Police Chief Jennifer Shockley will serve as acting director of the Unalaska Department of Public Safety.

City officials made the announcement Tuesday.

They've selected Shockley to hold the top job while they search for a full-time replacement for outgoing director Mike Holman.

It’s unclear how long that search will last. But as an 18-year veteran of the department, Shockley said she’s interested in the permanent position.

Berett Wilber/KUCB

Police are investigating after a dead body was found Thursday in the water in the Carl E. Moses boat harbor. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) has identified the deceased as Alexander Johannesen. The 30-year-old had not been seen since Wednesday evening.

There currently are some vessel traffic restrictions at the harbor so divers can canvas the area, but DPS expects to complete canvassing today.

DPS treats all unattended deaths as suspicious and is sending Johannesen’s remains for an autopsy.

Zoë Sobel/KUCB

Unalaska’s Fire Chief says he was forced to resign Friday and less than 24 hours later put on a plane to the Lower 48.

“I basically was given the door and right before Christmas, too,” Arlie Colvin said at the airport. “If I did not resign, they were going to not give me one penny, no ticket out of here, and [I'd have to] be out of my apartment by [Dec.] 31st. I didn’t have no more than $15 to my name because I’m helping to pay for stuff back home.”

Colvin believes he was pushed out by Public Safety Director Mike Holman while the interim city manager was out of town.